We’ve spoken about Fishnet stockings and lingerie several times.
dievca would like to bring it back up, this week, in the lingerie section because
Agent Provocateur is offering Fishnet, again, as Riho:
dievca is feeling that this is something for Master…
Is it something for your Sir or Madame?
What a way to show off your legs! FISHNETS! The graphic pattern of this lingerie piece highlights the curves and muscles of the legs and blurs the imperfections – but where did the idea come from?
The origin of fishnet stockings or fishnet pantyhose is hard to pinpoint. The earliest mention of “fishnet clothing” actually goes back to one of Aesop’s Fables in the early 1900s, “The Peasant’s Wise Daughter”. In the story, the king tells a peasant’s daughter that if she can solve his riddle, he will marry her. He challenges her to “Come to me not clothed, not naked, not riding…” and she solves the riddle by wrapping herself in a fisherman’s net. This idea of being covered and not covered has been a major reason in the appeal of fishnet.
Roland Barthes, philospher, writes in his 1973 essay, The Pleasure of the Text, about the eroticism of the interplay of seen and unseen that fishnet embody. Including the grid pattern visual properties of netted clothing.
These eye-catching characteristics follow along the same path which striped pantyhose were great attention-grabbers on Prostitutes.
People say that fishnet stockings began in the early 1900s with the showgirls of the famous Moulin Rouge, but most images of women from the time were adorned in black stockings, not fishnets. The New Orleans Red-light District wore vertically striped pantyhose to catch the eye.
Fishnet stockings became popular with flappers and showgirls in the 1920’s as hemlines rose to just barely below the knee. They were popular for a couple of reasons: from a distance the fishnet encased legs look as though they were adorned in black tights, but under the bright lights of a stage, pieces of flesh would show through. And fishnet tights were more functional than standard silk and rayon because they allowed the flappers to dance more freely. Silk and rayon stockings were not ideal for a large range of motion.
Fishnet continued to be associated with a ‘loose’ type of woman especially as they gained popularity with print-porn and the pin-up girls of the 1950’s.
In the 1960’s, with the rise of the miniskirt, some women took to playing with the amount of leg they showed by wearing tight weave fishnet tights in various colors.
Subverting mainstream fashion, punks and goths of the 1970’s took control of the fishnet tights and made them more extreme by ripping holes in them. Along with safety-pin earrings, patched denim jackets, and more, female punks found this a great way to give the mainstream idea of proper women’s clothing the finger.
Fishnet tights graduated to any fishnet piece of clothing with Madonna in the 1980’s. This pop singer and fashion icon was often dressed in fishnets, but she didn’t limit herself to just stockings.
By the 1990’s, a number of fashion and knitwear designers were creating fishnet stockings and loose-knit, nearly nude dresses. Thereafter, fishnet tights and clothing became normalized “fashion”.
Present day fishnet clothing is offered by Alexander Wang, Helmut Lang, Marchesa, Cushnie et Ochs, and more
And as fashion designers often do…they took this provocative piece of clothing material and turned fishnet mainstream. Offering pieces that range from conservative layering pieces to risqué ripped garments.
What is made out of fishnet in your closet?
In dievca’s? gloves, lingerie, stockings, tights, bodysuits
Sources: dievca, Vice, CR Fashion Book, Foot Traffic, Amy Boone
And if you would like to source a pair of traditional Fishnet stockings or tights – click here!
Marie was born in Kentucky, the daughter of a former Ziegfeld Girl and granddaughter of opera singer. At the age of 15, Marie became a Powers model and dropped out of school so she could enter beauty pageants, winning the title of “Miss Yonkers” and “The Queen of Coney Island” on the way to becoming “Miss New York” in 1939. Soon after, she moved to Hollywood and became a singer with Tommy Dorsey’s Orchestra, but could only land movie roles in the chorus line or small one-line parts.
Lacking the talent to really make it in Hollywood, she sought attention through scandal.
On top of 7 marriages, she had affairs with two of Elizabeth Taylor’s ex-husbands and even mobster Bugsy Siegel. In 1957 she got national attention by claiming to have been kidnapped by two men. Afterwards, her tabloid appearances were numerous, with car accidents, arrests, alcoholism, drug abuse, and ultimately committed to a psychiatric clinic.
After escaping from the clinic, and a wild string of abuse and excess. In 1965, McDonald was found dead at the age of 42 as a result of a drug overdose. Her widower followed.
dievca is now planning to stay away from white lingerie….
Nothing makes a woman more beautiful
than the belief that she is beautiful.
Join dievca for a look at various Style Icons and their lingerie choices.
Master loves diversity and a vintage, ladylike-vibe.
His dievca is gathering inspiration.
dievca knows that we touched on Fishnet Tights in the lingerie category, here.
But, if you are willing to step up your sassy, sexiness for the Holidays. Embellished Fishnet Tights might do it. Just add a Rhinestone Collar and heels, you will have a stunning presentation (and/or) “Night of Seduction” Outfit.
Or have an Embellished Lingerie Set.(Bra/ Panties) :
Buy ALL the items at LirikaMatoshi, an Etsy Shop.
A Bodystocking, is a unitard (one-piece) which is worn over the torso and legs. The tops can have sleeves or no sleeves. The fabric tends to be a stretchy stocking-like material (opaque, sheer, fishnet, mesh, lace, cut-outs, etc.) As lingerie, they often have openings between the legs and they are sometimes used by women to appear slimmer.
dievca’s obsession and sadness about the Agent Provocateur Bubbles set is solved.
Fleur du Mal‘s fishnet offering is less expensive
and with the smaller holes – much better looking on dievca.
A Win-Win for dievca’s unpinnings collection.
(Now, Master has to weigh in on the set!)
Corset + Fishnet =
a crazy tanning pattern on your Sir’s body.
(Agent Provocateur Swimsuit 2016)
dievca saw Rihanna in the Agent Provocateur “Bubbles” fishnet bra in black. she was obsessed. Lurking on eBay. Trying to determine if the playsuit would have the same impact as the bra. Justifying the costs. she never found the black bra…
This Spring the “Bubbles” set was re-issued in red. Hah! dievca thought “here we go, Master will love it – fabulous” and she trotted down to SoHo to make the purchase without trying the set on.
Then dievca was intrigued by another lingerie set and was persuaded to try it on. And if she was stripping – she thought should really try-on the “Bubbles” set, too.
Uhhhh — glad she did. It was awful on her.
Talk about being deflated…dievca’s bubble popped.
dievca is looking for some new lingerie. she has been on a personal hiatus for purchasing lingerie and now feels in the mood to get back to the lovely basics. dievca ran into the brand Fleur du Mal online and is very interested in some of the pieces.
she wonders what Master will think about the options.
Fleur du Mal inspires dressing up and undressing.
Founded in 2012 by Jennifer Zuccarini,
the innovative online destination and mobile retail concept
offers a sublime collection of ready-to-wear and lingerie.
dievca loves to give gifts — almost to the point where she prefers to give and not receive a gift. she said almost.
This Christmas was a crazy time — not very relaxing. A lot of travel, concerns over family members, scheduling, strange hours, etc. But, there were moments of brightness and times to breathe.
One time was before the Holidays, when dievca and Master exchanged gifts before He traveled.
Remember when dievca was drooling over Chrissie Hynde’s “chain & lock” necklace? Master bought His dievca a vintage sterling silver chain from an Estate Sale:
(It sounds crazy, but dievca has felt really good vibes from the chain)
dievca’s gift for Master was a bunch of odds and ends items, things she picked up for Him throughout the year. Plus, as requested, dievca helped Master complete a “clear out” of His closet.
Nothing too crazy, but each item held a little bit of meaning or humor.
dievca’s description of her Holiday travel is “It wasn’t a vacation”, she was really fried upon her return to the City. Master basically calmed and soothed dievca on New Year’s Eve. New Year’s Day was spent having dievca chained to Master after mutual workouts. Then Master insisted upon being disciplined enough to….wait for it…start their Taxes.
A very virtuous day until Master pulled out the Bubbly!
What dievca changed into after Taxes:
Master delighted dievca with having her chained and dievca delighted Master with a corset and stockings.
A great way to jump start 2015.
The bell on Master’s Collar will be tinkling as dievca dances across the living room to Eartha Kitt’s Santa Baby. And when dievca kneels to offer herself, she knows that Master will delight in the feel of the satin gloves stroking Him while dievca worships His Cock.
lively, bold, and full of spirit; cheeky.
Charlotte Olympia “Priscilla” Heels – red
Satin Corset – red
Tulle Skirt – black
Bell Collar – black
Fishnet Thigh Hi – nude
Satin Gloves – red
As Master tosses up dievca’s skirt, he will find a freshly waxed slut, wet with anticipation. A red crystal anal plug preparing her to be used in any manner. It is going to be a delightful night.
Enjoy your evening, too. XO
In modern usage, ‘stocking’ specifically refers to the form of women’s hosiery configured as two pieces, one for each leg (except for American and Australian English, where the term can also be a synonym for pantyhose). The term hold-ups and thigh-highs refers to stockings that stay up by the use of built-in elastic, while the word stockings is the general term or refers to the kind of stockings that need a suspender belt (garter belt, in American English), and are quite distinct from tights or pantyhose (American English).
Other terms used with stockings include:
Types of Legwear:
- Hold-ups (British English) or Stay-ups: Stockings that are held up by sewn-in elasticized bands (quite often a wide lace top band). In the US they are called thigh-highs.
- Thigh-Highs: Stockings that end somewhere in the mid-thigh.
- Suspender belt (British English) or Garter belt (American English): a belt with straps to keep stockings (not hold-ups) on place: usually they have 4 straps, but may have also 6 or 8.
- Garters: Are the least common means of support. A garter is slipped over the top of the stocking to hold the stocking by essentially clamping it to the leg.
- Pantyhose: (called Tights in the United Kingdom and a few other countries) are sheer, close-fitting legwear covering the wearer’s body from the waist to the feet. In the United States – thicker pantyhose are called “tights”.
Type of Knit:
- Denier: The lower the denier number the more sheer the garment. Stockings knitted with a higher denier tend to be less sheer but more durable.
- Opaque: Stockings made of yarn which give them a heavier appearance. Usually 40 denier or greater.
- Sheers: Stockings generally of a 15 to 20 denier.
- Ultra sheer: A fine denier fiber which gives the greatest in sheerness. Usually 10 denier.
- Matte: Stockings which have a dull or non-lustre finish.
- Fishnet: Knitted stockings with a very wide open knit resembling fish scales, graphic and flattering.
- Fencenet: Similar to fishnets, but with a much wider pattern. These are sometimes worn over another pair of stockings or pantyhose, such as matte or opaque, with a contrasting colour. Sometimes referred to as whalenets.
Type of Fashioning:
- Full Fashioned: Fully fashioned stockings are knitted flat, the material is then cut and the two sides are then united by a seam up the back. Fully fashioned stockings were the most popular style until the 1960s.
- Seamed: Stockings manufactured in the old Full-Fashioned way with a seam running up the back of the leg. In the past they were manufactured by cutting the fabric and then sewing it together. Today stockings are generally fully knitted and a fake or mock seam is added up the back for a particular fashion look. Some brands also produce seamed hold-ups.
- Seamless: Stockings knit in one operation on circular machines (one continuous operation) so that no seaming is required up the back
- Mock seam: A false seam sewn into the back of a seamless stocking.
- Welt: A fabric knitted separately and machine-sewn to the top of a stocking. Knit in a heavier denier yarn and folded double to give strength for supporter fastening.
Type of Foot/Heel Fashioning:
- Demi-toe: Stockings which have a reinforced toe with half the coverage on top as on the bottom. This results in a reinforcement that covers only the tip of the toes as opposed to the whole toe. These can be with or without a reinforced heel..
- Open-toed: Stockings that stop at the base of the toe with a piece that goes between the first and second toes to hold them down. They can be worn with some open-toed shoes, especially to show off pedicured toes.
- Sandalfoot: Stockings with a nude toe, meaning no heavier yarn in the toe than is in the leg. They are conceived to be worn with sandal or open-toe shoes.
- Nude Heel: Stockings without reinforcement in the heel area.
- Point heel: in a Fully Fashioned stocking it is a heel in which the reinforced part ends in a triangle shape.
- Cuban heel: A stocking with a heel made with folded over and sewn reinforcement.
- RHT: Abbreviation of reinforced heel and toe.
Styling of Pantyhose (Tights):
- Control-top: pantyhose intended to boost a slimmer figure, has a reinforced panty. There may be visible panty lines when wearing high-cut skirts or shorts.
- Sheer-to-waist: Pantyhose that is sheer throughout, with the panty part being the same thickness and color as the leg part, and are designed for use with high-slit gowns, miniskirts, hot pants, or lingerie. Often sheer-to-waist pantyhose will be reinforced along and on either side of the seam in the middle of the panty.
- Open-crotch: sometimes known as crotchless pantyhose, do not have a gusset. Instead, there is an opening is in place for hygienic reasons or sexual-fetishism activities.
Stockings and Pantyhose in ALL forms are sexy — yes, even the control top (uhh, something like Bridget Jones Diary panties?). Whether you are wearing the Hold-ups, Crotchless or Seemed stockings— the hose will finish your look and make for an interesting opening process for your Sir or Madam.
BTW — all the different options allow dievca to offer more diversity for Master.
In the words of Martha Stewart: ‘It’s a good thing’. XO
In the beginning, Master would tell dievca what to wear — but when He figured out that she loves fashion, He gave dievca free reign as long as the focus was dressing for Him. Now, Master rarely tells dievca what to wear because He likes to be surprised, but as a change of pace — Master commanded dievca to go braless.
This is a bit of a challenge, as dievca has a full Bust. she decided to face the challenge full-on and wear one of her favorite semi-vintage lingerie pieces. A Cosabella Sheer Fishnet Thong Turtleneck Bodysuit.
Here is the gist of it:
dievca’s piece is NOT the Alexander Wang Mesh/Fishnet Turtleneck.
But, dievca’s piece IS a green tighter weave fishnet Cosabella turtleneck thong bodysuit.
When she takes off her leather jacket she hopes the effect will be very similar to the photo above.
she couldn’t find a photo of her exact turtleneck, but here are some green fishnet samples to get you in the frame mind:
- The weave on the fishnet tights is very similar to dievca’s turtleneck
- The color on this Lanvin Sweater is the color
- This is a bodysuit from Martin Margiela that dievca covets
- This is a bra from Free People that dievca covets
dievca’s planned outfit:
- This is an Akris Tulle turtleneck body suit, insert dievca’s Cosabella favorite instead
- Golden Goose belted black leather jacket
- Black knit skirt
- Wolford Stay-Up Tights
- Alaia Thigh High leather Boots
- Alexis Bittar Liquid Gold Thin Collar
Depending upon where Master takes dievca, she will leave the jacket on closed or open, but if there is an opportunity, she will take the jacket off. (Look—her breasts are an asset and well-shaped. BTW, since 1992, it is legal for Women to bare their breasts for non-commercial activity in NY. No Laws broken. XO)
In her search for the Cosabella photo she did run across the information that Cosabella is celebrating 30 Years of Color. Look for a future post about the brand!
And wish dievca luck going braless! She will be taking deep breaths to be BOLD!
Marc Baptiste Fishnet, 2005
A classic standby for dancers, burlesque performers and everyday wear.
Fishnets have something of a reputation in the past – adorning Can-Can girls in vaudeville shows during the late 19th Century, becoming a housewife’s favorite in the 1950’s and turning somewhat risqué in the 1980’s.
These days Fishnet Stockings’ popularity has soared and they are worn anytime. Daywear through to evening without the reputation of being a Scarlet woman, unless you want to be one!
Fishnet Stockings are generally considered to be a sexy garment, they may serve as a part of sexual fetishism as they define curves by applying a grid close to the body. Fishnets hide imperfections and gently accentuate the wearer’s muscular definition.
Some Quality Brands of Fishnet Stockings:
What Katie Did – UK Brand, vintage feel with a seam all the way up the back
Wolford – Austrian Brand, full socking, hold-ups, knee socks.
Falke – German Brand, full stockings
Capezio – American Brand, Strong for Dancers
Other brands available: DKNY, Kate Spade, Hue, Leg Avenue, Spanx, Commando, Dreamgirl
Ladies, Women, cross dressers, submissives, slaves, dievcas it is time to stock-up for the New Year — get to it!
OK, Let’s shake a sexy leg!