dievca was asked to help a young adult (sophomore) and the student/Mother are trying to get a schedule together…. dievca offered 11 am or 2:30 pm on Saturday. The kid can’t make it because she schedules ‘sleepover’s’ on Friday nights…. but, then she wants to try 6 am during the week.
Look, if you cannot get going by 11 am on a Saturday – you will not make 6 am during the week.
And a ‘sleepover’? at age 15/16? Sometimes NYC befuddles dievca’s Midwestern brain.
dievca mentioned that her Mom is fading or depressed and her Mom’s best friend (91) immediately asked her son to drive her up to my Mom. (God, I’m starting to cry). deivca set up the date to coincide with the caregiver who likes to cook and is already thinking of a nice light lunch for the ladies. Mom’s friend is bringing the dessert – a certain chocolate and raspberry cake because she knows Mom loves it. dievca’s Mom will rally to sit in the wheelchair for a longer period and see her friend – they will lean close because neither can hear. It’s a gift that is amazingly generous.
Never dismiss the touch of a true friend, its one of Life’s greatest miracles.
We had a little conversation (a 12 yr old and dievca)….
and the phrase “OK, Boomer” came into play~
dievca is NOT a boomer…(Master is~)
As of July 1, 2019 (the latest date for which population estimates are available), Millennials, whom we define as ages 23 to 38 in 2019, numbered 72.1 million, and Boomers (ages 55 to 73) numbered 71.6 million. The two groups sandwich and overwhelm the middle child, Generation X.
dievca is a slacker….Hello….Generation X.
Don’t f*ck with her.
She’s a bit cynical (actually more of a realist), does not need validation, and slides by quietly to get things done.
Which Generation are You?
|The Lost Generation
The Generation of 1914
|The Interbellum Generation||1901||1913||108||120|
|The Greatest Generation||1910||1924||97||111|
|The Silent Generation||1925||1945||76||96|
|Baby Boomer Generation||1946||1964||57||75|
|Generation X (Baby Bust)||1965||1979||42||56|
Generation Y, Gen Next
|iGen / Gen Z||1995||2012||9||26|
Generally, Gen Xers are the children of the Silent Generation and older baby boomers.
dievca’s parents were of the Silent Generation.
Anyways, the comment sparked a conversation that made dievca laugh like hell. Kids are fantastic with serving up a dose of reality. dievca couldn’t decide if she was more offended by being called a “Boomer” or her personal reaction to being called one! (Sorry Boomers…😘)
No one talks about peri-menopause. No one talks about colonoscopies.
For both topics, there are “hints” and “innuendo” – interspersed with potty humor (colonoscopy) or the suggestion of mental instability (perimenopause).
dievca is looking at both topics straight in the eye. One came to the attention of the other this week….
The colonoscopy prep is tedious. Here are some things of use to help one get through it:
- Chill your prep solution as long as you can before drinking
- Don’t sniff the prep solution
- Don’t swish the solution in your mouth because you are pondering swallowing
- Use a straw to keep the texture and salty and sweet taste away from your tongue
- Take small to medium sips
- Swallow as fast as you can to limit the taste in the mouth
- Take a small sip of water/clear fluid to dilute and rinse the taste from your mouth
- If you feel nauseous, take longer pauses between sips – even if you go beyond the time limit for drinking the prep
- If you feel like you need something more substantial in your stomach than liquids, suck on hard clear candies, eat light-colored Jello, apple sauce, and Italian ice. No red or purple colors.
- Keep a cream available for a sore bum
- If everything coming out stays neon yellow – don’t panic. As long as its clear, you are ok.
- Finish the prep as best you can, but know that if you throw some up – it is not a problem as long as emissions are clear
- Your blood pressure is going to be high due to dehydration, don’t panic
- Schedule the procedure in the morning, so you don’t have to wait if someone before you has a problem and you can get to your caffeine as soon as possible after the surgery.
For the Ladies:
When dievca checked in for the procedure – they insisted on her taking a pregnancy test (!)…..on the hint that she still gets periods. That’s where perimenopause rears its head. How old are the people getting their 1st colonoscopy? In their 50’s – when does perimenopause start? late 40’s early 50’s on the average. The question, “Do you still get your period?”, can be a loaded question and awkward to answer~ Be aware. It’s tough to pee in a cup when you are dehydrated.
The procedure itself is quite simple and your a** does not hang out for everyone to see.
A side note: A close friend’s sister died at 40 from colon cancer. dievca’s friend was constantly on people to get a colonoscopy ASAP. Sadly, that friend was the one who beat gallbladder cancer only to die from pancreatic cancer at 50. dievca finally honored her promise to her friend, she knows her friend was watching. All clear.
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think they will sing to me.