Language is a measure of culture, but also, in many ways, language can be a measure of time. The words we use—if they are new or relatively new—are the words we need to express and explain our world. If these words then also become widely used, it becomes the dictionary’s job to explain this use.
Here are some words that were added to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary this year:
- Long hauler : a person who experiences one or more long-term effects following initial improvement or recovery from a serious illness (such as COVID-19)
- Pod and Bubble : a usually small group of people (such as family members, friends, coworkers, or classmates) who regularly interact closely with one another but with few or no others in order to minimize exposure and reduce the transmission of infection during an outbreak of a contagious disease. Bubble also gained an additional meaning: an area within which sports teams stay isolated from the general public during a series of scheduled games so as to prevent exposure to disease and that includes accommodations, amenities, and the location at which the games are held
- Hard pass : a firm refusal or rejection of something (such as an offer)
- Flex informal : an act of bragging or showing off
- Cancel culture : the practice or tendency of engaging in mass canceling as a way of expressing disapproval and exerting social pressure
- Makerspace : a communal public workshop in which makers can work on small personal projects
- Coworking : being, relating to, or working in a building where multiple tenants (such as entrepreneurs, start-ups, or nonprofits) rent working space (such as desks or offices) and have the use of communal facilities
- Crowdfunding : the practice of obtaining needed funding (as for a new business) by soliciting contributions from a large number of people especially from the online community
- Gig worker : a person who works temporary jobs typically in the service sector as an independent contractor or freelancer
- Decarceration : release from imprisonment also : the practice or policy of reducing the number of people subject to imprisonment
- BIPOC (abbreviation) : Black, Indigenous, (and) People of Color
- Folx : folks —used especially to explicitly signal the inclusion of groups commonly marginalized
- Sapiosexual : of, relating to, or characterized by sexual or romantic attraction to highly intelligent people
- Silver fox : an attractive middle-aged man having mostly gray or white hair
- ASMR or autonomous sensory meridian response : a pleasant tingling sensation that originates on the back of the scalp and often spreads to the neck and upper spine, that occurs in some people in response to a stimulus (such as a particular kind of sound or movement), and that tends to have a calming effect
- Hygge : a cozy quality that makes a person feel content and comfortable
- Second Gentleman : the husband or male partner of a vice president or second in command of a country or jurisdiction
Definition 1 of Unicorn related to the BDSM Lifestyle:
There’s a term nearly everybody in the Swinger world, the BDSM world, and the Polyamorous world is familiar with, summarized in one neat, pretty, sparkly mental image of one word: Unicorn. On the surface it’s a simple term, relating to the mythical creature of lore that is rumored to exist but is nearly impossible to find. Furthermore, once found, it’s nearly impossible to keep, for, after all, nobody can really own a unicorn. (credit absinthepassion.wordpress.com )
Colloquial; Synonym for hot or Bi babe or HBB, often derogatory, condescending, or ironic. A bisexual person usually though not always female, who is willing to join an existing couple, often with the presumption that this person will date and become sexually involved with both members of that couple, and not demand anything or do anything which might cause problems or inconvenience to that couple.
The term is often used to be dismissive of a couple seen to be only superficially polyamorous. Because of the demands that this type of couple places on the woman (that she be single and not take on any additional partners, and become involved with both members of the couple equally, and often “complete” their family as a surrogate mother and housekeeper and/or breadwinner and not do anything that may threaten or disrupt the existing couple), many in the poly community call this type of woman a ‘Unicorn’, as in mythical and not likely to be found, even though there are plenty of bi-poly women around.
Sometimes the unicorn is expected to not develop any emotional attachment and is strictly there for a sexual relationship (equally distributed to both members of the dyad) and/or is prescripted as a secondary. This term is used as a reminder that bi-poly women are people with their own desires, needs, and pre-existing lives, and not fantasy figures or pets.
(credit Urban dictionary.com).
If you are looking for a Unicorn buying this Pouch might be a great deal easier.
And it is a lovely item for the Little in your life. XO
Opening Ceremony UNDERCOVER Unicorn Pouch
Printed leather front
White leather back
Zip back closure
On sale for $60 with further discounts available
Opening Ceremony is closing their stores and temporarily closing their website. The sale is quite good.
fluffball. Noun. (plural fluffballs)
- A ball of fluff, or a creature that resembles one.
- Soft things like animals that are cute and /or fun to pet.
- Someone who is or acts like they have their head in the sky.
- Someone who purports to have technical experience in their chosen field, but lacks a fundamental understanding of concepts beyond anything that isn’t the buzzword of the month.
The object attached to her keys so she can find them in her dark backpack interior by feel. dievca’s is real fur. Others. which are faux fur, are easily available.
Note: dievca didn’t realize how much she depends on her sense of touch for the keychain until she gave her 4-year-old messy one to the puppy adoption place along with old towels.
Faux fur options (click photo to purchase, more colors available):
dievca really wants to buy this sweater for a close friend. It would be given with a great deal of humor.
Because dievca is returning to Scandinavia for work, she’s been running around buying hair dye, allergy meds, Coach items, etc. Some are items people have requested and the rest are gifts dievca has found for friends.
One of her very close friends speaks excellent English. But sometimes words take a different meaning in another country. Like the word “Special” – here’s the Mirriam-Webster definition:
Definition of special
Definition of special
None of these definitions apply to how, dievca’s friend uses the word, “Special”. The friend uses the word to describe someone who is high maintenance and demanding or a little bit crazy. Someone who is a pain-in-the-neck. that one? she’s special
The word is said with an inferred eyeball roll.
OK – its sarcasm.
Wouldn’t this sweater be great for someone who is (wait for it….) special herself? dievca’s friend would laugh so hard if she received this sweater as a gift.
Do you know anyone who is…..Special?
There is no glory in star or blossom till looked upon by a loving eye; There is no fragrance in April breezes till breathed with joy as they wander by.
William Cullen Bryant
Redolence is the way something smells.
dievca always pauses on her way to work to enjoy the redolence of the flowering crabapple trees. The trees are in blossom earlier this year than last.
The word redolence almost always refers to the very best odors and scents.
If you describe someone or something as pathetic, you mean that they make you feel impatient or angry, often because they are weak or not very good.
dievca is calling herself pathetic….not in the real sense. In the sense that she knows she is weak and she is laughing at herself.
The custom $400 sweatshirt…The sweatshirt itself is Atelier Notify and $110 — so the custom graphics (only a silk screen – not embroidery, mind you) is $300+.
That dievca is even thinking about this is bad…
Now you know why she calls herself pathetic…
To resist the urge to buy — dievca is finishing off the last of her taxes, grocery shopping and visiting to three open houses on the UWS. Housing prices are going down and it might be time to buy~
Umm, the sweatshirt would be cheaper than buying a co-op. Co-op will last longer, hopefully. 😁
Have a lovely Sunday!
be full of the joys of spring
to be very happy:
Speaking of the Joys of Spring – the gift from Master.
The start of dievca’s Garden.
(especially of children) disobedient; badly behaved.
“you’ve been a really naughty boy”
mildly rude or indecent, typically because related to sex.
synonyms: indecent, risqué, rude, racy, ribald, bawdy, broad, spicy, suggestive, titillating, improper, indelicate, indecorous, off color;
a material loosely woven of wire, plastic, or thread so that it has spaces in it like a net
(of two or more things) to fit together or be suitable for each other:
Definition: Cambridge English Dictionary.
A current description is : A moderate to minimal coverage European panty silhouette with back coverage that is more than a thong but narrower than a bikini. Tangas are a comfortable way to transition from a bikini to a thong.
The main difference between Tanga and Cheeky underwear is the amount of coverage you get. Tangas tend to be more revealing at the back while Cheeky cuts are more covered up.
The Oxford dictionary definition is, “A pair of briefs consisting of small panels connected by strings at the sides.”.
OK, that can differ from string bikini panties by the amount of coverage in the back. Right?
Add Brazilian Panties to the mix:
The Brazilian cut panty name refers to how the back of the panty looks, while the front can be any style. The most common way to describe a Brazilian panty is that it is wider in the back than a thong, but much less coverage than a regular bikini cut.
Consider that the word “tanga” in Spanish means “thong”….
With that…there is chaos….
dievca sees confusion with all the descriptions — just go with the style that your Sir or Madam prefers. XO
~ Urban Dictionary
In a sentence:
dievca is heading to the gym to work on becoming a piece of eye candy for her Master.
strongly prejudiced against women.
Oh, so that’s what that word means.
Wow! dievca hasn’t really run into this in her Life.
she’s lucky, she’s surrounded by some wonderful Men.
That said she had an issue with one of her building’s maintenance men.
It all started with the dishwasher breaking. The maintenance guy truly did not listen to what was happening and just told dievca that she’s using the wrong soap (Cascade?!?!). The guy didn’t touch the dishwasher, nor did he come back to work on it – then he closed the work order, that evening, citing that dievca agreed there wasn’t a problem.
There’s black water in the bottom – it’s not draining.
(Note: dievca has seen this maintenance man having deep discussions with Men in the building, never a Woman. she didn’t get to say a word and she thinks it was more than just a bad day.)
dievca re-opened up that work order so fast, your head would’ve spun and she hit up a couple of doormen and maintenance crew with her ire.
It was noticeable when they sent another person the next day. The sink needed snaking for a blockage and he listened to a cycle of the dishwasher — and determined that the pump is burned out.
Put dievca on the list for a new dishwasher!
The work order is still open and apparently dievca is not a lunatic.
Oh, and using Cascade is ok.
Looks like dievca will be washing dishes in the nude until the new machine arrives!
an informal social gathering at which coffee is served.
talking or gossip at an informal gathering where coffee is served.
past tense: bonked; past participle: bonked
knock or hit (something) to cause a reverberating sound.
“he bonked his head on the plane’s low bulkhead”
have sexual intercourse with (someone).
(of a cyclist or runner) reach a point of exhaustion that makes one unable to go further.
“I bonked and couldn’t pedal another stroke”
dievca is done, she has bonked.
Sometimes the words seem to describe the same types of lingerie, let’s clarify these four pieces:
A basque refers to a fitted garment, with a cup, extending down to the waist line or just above. It is usually made of lace, or stretch lace and has plastic boning to support the shape of the body. It has suspender straps for holding stockings in place, which are sometimes removable.
A gureêpiè is fitted garment, with a cup, extending down to over the hips with suspender straps attached. Like the basque, it is usually made of lace, or stretch lace and has plastic boning to support the shape of the body. The basque, guêpière are loosely the same thing apart from the length of the garment. These days basque is the more common term, so you might even find a longline basque that extends over the hips, so I would usually follow the naming convention of the brand to describe the garment.
A bodice tends to be a less structured garment, something that laces up and goes over another article of clothing.
A corset should not be confused with the three garments above. A corset is a structured garment with steel or plastic boning that can be tightened to manipulate the shape of the waist. This is the only garment that will physically change the shape of the body and can do so permanently if you are corset training.