Local gyms are offering free online classes, Peloton is offering a free 90-day subscription (including classes that don’t need bike), people are doing classes via youtube, etc. dievca sees her neighbors working out in their apartments (Remember, she lives in a fishbowl). she’s been doing personal workouts and online workouts, too.
So…how many weekend warriors are getting injured?
Where do they go if the injury is more severe and cannot be taken care of at a clinic?
The hospitals are overwhelmed with COVID-19.
Maybe at the USNS Comfort:
The Comfort’s 1,000 beds and 12 operating rooms will largely be used for non-coronavirus patients, freeing up much-needed space at the city’s overtaxed hospitals. The ship is typically used to support military campaigns and humanitarian crises abroad, along with earthquake and hurricane relief. Most recently, it was deployed to Latin America, helping countries with inadequate health care systems. It was last stationed in New York City after the 9/11 terrorist attacks where it helped treat hundreds of first responders.
~ the Verge
During the conversation dievca had with the Millenials who gave blood there was a discussion about how they were so astounded at the amount of time, effort and clean-up involved with cooking at home.😳 Maybe the USNS Comfort will be dealing with kitchen knife incidents or burn issues for these newly minted cooks.
What are the numbers?
At least no one is really driving the city – so auto accident numbers should be down.
Where do you go when the World gets a little crazy?
What habits, activities, processes happen?
dievca is still working, but when she has a chunk of open time after wiping down the refrigerator….three things may occur:
- The vintage 1990’s Champion Sweats appear, cosy and worn in
- Alexa plays Classic Cassette Era Rock, 1970’s Pop, 1980’s New Wave, 1990’s Alternative
- dievca’s nose gets stuck in a Sci-Fi / Fantasy novel
Master just laughs at His dievca when she hides from the World – He knows she’ll come back to Reality with Him.
But Master isn’t here and dievca has slipped into her 90’s Alternative Universe with Mazzy Star. Yes, she has her Champion Reverseweave Sweatshirt on:
What do you do to slip away?
Mazzy Star – Fade Into You – 10/2/1994 – Shoreline Amphitheatre (Official)
Fade Into You
I wanna hold the hand inside you
I wanna take the breath that’s true
I look to you and I see nothing
I look to you to see the truth
You live your life, you go in shadow
You’ll come upon and you’ll go black
Some kind of night into your darkness
Close your eyes with what’s not there
Fade into you
Strange you never knew
Fade into you
I think it’s strange you never knew
The strange light comes on slowly
A stranger’s heart is out of home
You put your hands into your head
And your smiles cover your heart
Songwriters: David Roback / Hope Sandoval
dievca spent the day calling Midwestern small town ACE hardware stores and Farm/Fleet stores, she contacted both her Alma Maters Nursing and Biology programs, work maintenance group and friends. Searching for masks.
Not the ones people are so generously sewing. The heavier duty ones that can be used for a swamped ER in a local hospital. A personal friend who runs the ER has severe asthma – reusing a mask is unsafe.
Everyone dievca called/emailed were very kind in replying and searching their facilities or stores. The Nursing departments and Biology departments already donated. Work needed their masks. The ACE hardware stores were out but took their time to look properly. Farm/Fleet came through with a small amount. Better than nothing and dievca had the time to search. she’s still trying to figure out how to get in touch with the closed NYC nail salons.
dievca was doing this for a specific individual and could have them shipped directly.
But, if you have some spare masks or other supplies and are willing to share, here are suggestions where to share the items safely: https://thecity.nyc/2020/03/how-can-i-donate-supplies-to-new-york-hospitals-in-need.html
Are you on a spending freeze?
dievca is holding tight to her purse strings…
other than trying to help local restaurants and friends who need a helping hand.
That doesn’t mean she can’t dream.
Officina del Poggio Bottle Bag:
As part of our ongoing initiatives for sustainability and to reduce plastic in the environment, we are proud to present as part of our collection this new Bottle Bag, in collaboration with model and Sustainable Fashion Ambassador Arizona Muse.
10% of sales from the ODP Bottle Bags will be donated to the NO MORE PLASTIC ® Foundation, helping to keep our oceans beautiful and ocean wildlife safe.
The bag has been designed with a front pocket and exterior key clip. Included with the bag is a Clima Bottle Steel 500ml by 24 Bottles®, with a unique double-walled insulated design that keeps hot beverages warm for 12 hours, and cold beverages chilled for 24 hours.
– Veg-tanned leather in Black
– Adjustable shoulder strap can be worn cross-body
– Custom gold hardware
– Clima-Bottle Steel from 24 Bottles included with the bag
– Snap front pocket for easy access, fits most mobile phones
– Pocket size: 9.5 cm length | 15 cm height | 3 cm gusset
– Comes with logo dust bag
And a hefty price tag of $321 + $30 shipping.
Wait! It went on sale this morning. $261.00
You can buy it here.
Master asked for help with Spring Cleaning.
Now is the time to do it.
Anyone else deep cleaning during this ‘pause’?
How about in the nude?
Severe Blood Shortage, Donors Urgently Needed
Right now, eligible and healthy donors are strongly urged to make an appointment to provide lifesaving blood products to patients. Please give now.
- Blood makes up around 7% of the weight of a human body.
- Blood contains red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets.
- These blood cells float in a yellow liquid called blood plasma. Blood plasma is made up of 90% water and also contains various nutrients, electrolytes, gases, proteins, glucose, and hormones.
- Blood plasma can be separated from the cells by spinning the blood in a centrifuge until the cells collect at the bottom of the tube.
- Red blood cells carry oxygen around the body. They contain a protein called hemoglobin. Hemoglobin contains iron which combines with oxygen to give hemoglobin and our blood, a red color.
- Red blood cells develop in the bone marrow and circulate in the body for around 120 days.
- White blood cells are an important part of the body’s immune system. They defend against certain bacteria, viruses, cancer cells, infectious diseases, and other unwanted materials.
- Platelets help blood clot in order to limit bleeding when your skin is cut. Blood clots can occasionally have negative effects if they form in blood vessels going to the brain they can cause a stroke while clotting in a blood vessel going to the heart can lead to a heart attack.
- As well as delivering important substances to our cells, blood also helps take away unwanted waste products.
- Grouping human blood types can be a difficult process and there are currently around 30 recognized blood types (or blood groups). You might be familiar with the more simplified “ABO” system which categorizes blood types under O, A, B and AB.
- The most common blood type in the United States is O Positive (39% of the population), while the least common blood type is AB negative with only (0.5% of the population). The most common blood type in Japan is A positive.
- Patients in the United States use approximately 32,000 pints of blood every day.
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S.
- Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 units.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is type O.
- Sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- According to the American Cancer Society, more than 1.8 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2020. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single-car accident victim can require as many as 100 units of blood.
- Each year, an estimated 6.8 million people in the U.S. donate blood.
- 13.6 million whole blood and red blood cells are collected in the U.S. in a year.
- About 45% of people in the U.S. have Group O (positive or negative) blood; the proportion is higher among Hispanics (57%) and African Americans (51%).
- Type O negative red cells can be given to patients of all blood types. Because only 7% of people in the U.S. are type O negative, it’s always in great demand and often in short supply.
- Type AB positive plasma can be transfused to patients of all blood types. Since only 3% of people in the U.S. have AB positive blood, this plasma is usually in short supply.
- Red blood cells must be used within 42 days (or less).
- Platelets must be used within just 5 days.
Actually, dievca’s blood is B- not coffee as she expected. Not the most useful blood type, but maybe it will help.
The Port Authority Blood Donation Center is in operation. People are scheduled on a sliding system. The donors were all-male when she arrived and finished all-female when she left. 80% Millenial 20% Generation X. The experience offered a nice chat over snacks and juice, 6 feet apart.
Again, please consider donating if you can.